What is Advancement?
Advancement is the process by which youth members of the Boy Scouts of America progress from rank to rank in the Scouting program. Advancement is simply a means to an end, not an end in itself. Everything done to advance and earn these ranks, from joining until leaving the program, should be designed to help the young person have an exciting and meaningful experience. Education and fun are functions of the Scouting movement, and they must be the basis of the advancement program. A fundamental principle of advancement in Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting, and Venturing is the growth a young person achieves as a result of his/her participation in unit program.
- National Advancement Committee Webpage
- National Advancement Committee Resources
- Guide to Advancement 2013, No. 33088
- Advancement News Archive
- Advancement Report, No. 34403
- On Increasing Advancement, No. 512-047
- Recommendations for Regional and Area Volunteers Supporting the Advancement Program, No. 512-048
- Active Participation
- Lifesaving or Meritorious Action Awards
- Merit Badge Counselor Guide
- Merit Badge Counselor Information, No. 34405
- Merit Badge List
- Reporting Merit Badge Counseling Concerns, No. 512-800
- Worksheet for Building a Merit Badge Counselor List, No. 4439
- Introduction to Merit Badges
- Merit Badge Blue Card Information
Today’s youth are spending more time than ever using digital media for education, research, socializing, and fun. To help families and volunteers keep youth safe while online, the Boy Scouts of America has introduced the Cyber Chip program. In developing this exciting new tool, the BSA teamed up with content expert NetSmartz®, part of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children® and training experts from many law enforcement agencies.
The Cyber Chip can be earned by any youth in the BSA’s programs. Topics include cyber bullying, cell phone use, texting, blogging, gaming, and identity theft. Material is tailored at each level for age-appropriateness.
- Cub Scouts: Grades 1–3 and 4–5
- Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers, Sea Scouts: Grades 6–8 and 9–12